BASIC is an acronym for Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code.
The primary purpose of this project is to reproduce the overall experience provided by the
original GW-BASIC (Microsoft Corporation circa 1983-1988); preserving this important chapter in
computing history and making it available for future generations to enjoy.
- Faithful recreation of the original GW-BASIC "IDE" (REPL).
- Full support for graphics keywords such as PSET, LINE, CIRCLE, PAINT, GET, PUT and DRAW
- Full support for CGA and EGA graphics modes including original fonts.
- Full support for all File I/O keywords.
- Uses isolated (local) storage to create a virtualized C:\ file system.
- File "browser" for file management (LOAD, CHDIR, RMDIR, KILL, etc.).
- Completely functional regardless of network connection.
- Supports Portrait and Landscape.
- Much, much, more...
Still to come...
- Continue to improve interactive experience through the touch-centric Phone UI.
- PLAY commands.
- Easily share code with fellow coders; so get started now if you'd like to have your code featured!
This IS the GW-BASIC you remember... on the phone! Don't accept anything less.
All commands/keywords/functions are available except the following:
- OPEN, CLOSE, INPUT#, LINE INPUT#, WRITE#, LOC, EOF, LOF, LOCK, UNLOCK, FIELD, GET (File), PUT (File)
- SAVE, MERGE, KILL, MKDIR, RMDIR
- CHAIN, COMMON
Use of these methods in trial mode will cause an Advanced Feature error (73) that can be trapped using ON ERROR.
If you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer, you can play with the browser-based version at:
GW-BASIC by Cory Smith (hosted by AddressOf.com)
This is the Win32 version.
Windows 10 (Xaml)
This is the Xaml version.